Villar to ask SC to stop Manila Bay reclamation project-A A +A
Wednesday, August 28, 2013
SENATOR Cynthia Villar is hoping that the Supreme Court will stop the P14-billion Manila Bay reclamation project for its potential to cause severe flooding in Bacoor, Cavite and the cities of Parañaque and Las Piñas.
She said residents of the 65 barangays in those areas may face flooding of up to 5.12 meters or equivalent to a two-storey high building, which is worse than the levels experienced at the height of the devastation of storm-enhanced Southwest Monsoon last week if the project will push through.
"Scientists and environmentalists have been issuing warnings against destruction of coastal habitats, why are we not taking heed of those?" Villar said Wednesday.
But the Court of Appeals Third Division, which issued a ruling on August 14 upholding its decision to deny her petition for writ of kalikasan and temporary protection order, said Villar failed to establish legal and factual loopholes in the project.
The senator earlier insisted that the issuance of an Environmental Compliance Certificate (ECC) and public consultation for the project did not follow the law.
She also said the project, which is set to cover some 635.14 hectares of water, will destroy the mangroves in the 175-hectare Las Piñas-Parañaque Critical Habitat and Ecotourism Area, home to over 195 bird species such as the endangered Philippine duck and the Chinese egret. (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)