Napoles stays in Makati jail for now-A A +A
Saturday, August 31, 2013
MANILA (Updated) -- Businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles will remain at the Makati City jail for the time being while authorities are making some improvements in her detention facility at the Fort Sto. Domingo in Laguna, Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel Roxas II announced Saturday.
"Napoles will not be moved today," Roxas said at a press briefing after inspecting the facility, which serves as a training camp of the Philippine National Police (PNP) Special Action Force.
The Makati Regional Trial Court branch 150 on Friday has cleared the way for Napoles transfer from the Makati jail to the police training camp in Laguna.
The order came after presiding judge Elmo Alameda heard a motion for reconsideration on the Commitment Order issued Thursday. At the court hearing, security officials said the Makati jail was not safe enough.
The head of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group in Metro Manila and the acting warden of the Makati City jail suggested the transfer to the police training camp citing "clear danger" to Napoles' life.
Alameda initially ordered Napoles' transfer from the PNP national headquarters at Camp Crame in Quezon City to the Makati City jail.
At the press briefing, Roxas said the Fort Sto. Domingo was not ready yet to receive Napoles due to some security enhancements being done in the 25-square meter detention facility, which previously held several "high value" detainees.
Previously detained at the training camp are former President Joseph Estrada and son Jinggoy and Moro National Liberation Front chair Nur Misuari.
Closed-circuit television cameras will be installed at the visitor's area and inside the detention facility to ensure Napoles' safety and record all movement inside the jail, Roxas said. Visitors of Napoles will be limited to her lawyers, doctors and family members.
A log book will be placed at the entrance of the camp to record everyone who will come and visit the detained businesswoman.
Cooking appliances, air conditioner and cellphones will also be prohibited inside the jail, Roxas added. Napoles will share the provisions given to PNP trainees at the camp.
Roxas said guidelines set by the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) on the bringing of things inside the detention facility will be strictly followed.
The SAF and the CIDG have already set up an operational plan to secure Napoles. Aside from the permanent personnel of SAF at the Fort Sto. Domingo, additional PNP personnel will augment security forces at the Laguna camp.
"Ginagawa namin ang lahat para matugunan ang utos ng korte at gayun din para masigurado natin yung kaligtasan (ni Napoles)," Roxas said.
In Makati, members of the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption (VACC) gathered outside of the Makati jail Saturday to denounce the alleged "VIP treatment" for the pork barrel scam suspect.
But Roxas said, "Inaayos natin ang seguridad niya hindi dahil VIP siya kundi dahil gusto natin humarap siya sa proseso ng batas."
"Kaya nga may rage ang ating mga kababayan kasi tanggap ng lahat na may kinalaman siya sa scam na ito. I think na mauunawaan ng ating mga kababayan na yung preservation ng kanyang buhay ay hindi dahil VIP siya pero dahil gusto natin siyang humarap siya sa buong proseso ng ating batas," he added.
When asked to comment on the negative reactions he receives from the public, Roxas said he's just doing his job.
"Mas ninanais ko na ma-criticize ako na ini-inspect ko ito kesa ma-criticize ako na hindi ko ginawa ang trabaho ko," he said.
The media will not be allowed to enter the detention facility but Roxas said the PNP will release photos of the detention cell once they are ready.
Napoles who is facing serious illegal detention charges surrendered to President Benigno Aquino III Wednesday after evading arrest for two weeks.
Her accuser Benhur Luy also tagged Napoles as mastermind of the alleged multi-billion peso pork barrel fund scam, which involves the funneling of priority development assistance funds of lawmakers to fake beneficiaries.
Aside from Napoles, her brother Reynald Lim was also a suspect in the non-bailable serious illegal detention charge. He remains at large. (Glaiza Jarloc/Sunnex)