Palace still mum on BOC reforms-A A +A
Monday, September 2, 2013
MALACANANG remained mum on the sweeping reforms that will be implemented in the perceived corrupt-ridden Bureau of Customs (BOC).
In his regular press briefing on Monday, Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said that the reforms would be forthcoming.
"The only thing I can say is that it's forthcoming...preparations are done, a lot more than what we've said a month ago," he said.
President Benigno Aquino III in early August said that the public could expect major reforms in the BOC in less than a month.
But so far, the Palace has not yet announced any of those major reforms.
"It's moved but I can't say more than that," Lacierda said of the time frame to implement the reforms in the BOC.
Aquino in his July State of the Nation Address berated the BOC for not performing its job well.
Quoting the Department of Finance, he said that it was estimated that more than 200 billion pesos in revenue slips through the Philippine borders without going into public coffers due to smuggling. (SDR/Sunnex)