PNP gives updates on Napoles for transparency: Valte-A A +A
Saturday, September 7, 2013
PHILIPPINE National Police (PNP) has been giving daily updates on high-profile detainee Janet Lim-Napoles because the Aquino administration just wanted to be transparent in dealing with her, a Palace official said Saturday.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said that many Filipinos are interested on the case of Napoles, who was allegedly the mastermind in the P10-billion pork barrel scam.
"The PNP is doing this for the sake of transparency," she said over dzRB Radyo ng Bayan.
Napoles' legal counsel, Lorna Kapunan, reportedly was complaining for giving out to the media the daily itinerary and updates on her client who has been detained at Fort Santo Domingo in Sta. Rosa, Laguna.
"As we can see, many were interested really on the case that's why we're giving daily updates so that the media people who have been there (in Sta. Rosa) could have an idea...information because they could not see (Napoles) due to the security in Fort Santo Domingo," Valte said, adding that those media people covering Napoles was already called as the "Napoles Press Corps."
She said the Palace does not see anything wrong with the PNP's move to give daily updates to the media.
Napoles, who surrendered to President Benigno Aquino III late last month after two weeks of hiding, has been facing charges of serious illegal detention of her former aide Benhur Luy, the whistle-blower on the P10-billion fund mess.
The government has yet to file any case in relation to the pork barrel fund scam.
Valte also expressed hope that the fund mess would not affect the image of the country on the eyes of the foreign investors.
There were concerns in recent weeks that as the pork barrel controversy inquiry drags on, this could affect on the country's economic gains.
"There're many pieces of good news to find and hopefully, the investors can look (on the positive news)," Valte said.
"Whether this will drag on or not is a question that the Executive branch cannot answer for itself because it's not only the Executive branch which is involved in the legal system. Of course, the judiciary is likewise there," she said.
Asked how the Palace sees the resolution of the controversy and its impact on investors’ confidence, the Palace official said the single major aim of the Aquino administration is to hold accountable those who committed wrongdoings.
And for the cases to prosper, Valte said the government must file charges based on solid evidence and without bias.
Valte also admitted that the administration is facing an uphill fight with regards to prosecuting people once cases are filed in court given the lengthy judicial process in the country.
Despite these obstacles, however, she said the President hopes to see convictions under his term, before he steps down from power in 2016.
Valte said she cannot predict whether the country could reverse its gains which are overshadowed by current developments.
But in the end however, the Palace official said the most important thing on the side of government is its quick action if there are anomalies that are uncovered. (SDR/Sunnex)