CAAP lifts suspension of flights to Zamboanga-A A +A
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
MANILA -- The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said Wednesday that limited commercial flights to and from the Zamboanga International Airport will resume on Thursday as the situation there has improved.
CAAP Director General William Hotchkiss lll, in a press conference, said that his office had authorized to mount two commercial flights, one each for PAL (Philippine Airlines) Express and Cebu Pacific on Thursday, and two each on Friday.
He said that his deputy, Captain John Andrews, will board the first flight out of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) to Zamboanga to oversee the preliminary flight.
On Tuesday, both Hotchkiss and Andrews boarded a private plane of PAL president Ramon Ang to Zamboanga to assess the situation and consulted the Crisis Management Committee in the area chaired by Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas and Zamboanga Mayor Isabelle Climaco-Salazar.
Upon assessment of the security situation, Hotchkiss said he conferred with airline representatives in the area to arrange the opening of flights starting September 19.
Andrews said that the airline passengers will only be allowed to carry one hand carried luggage on the flights.
CAAP suspended the commercial flights to and from Zamboanga City after a firefight broke out between the government troops and the armed followers of Nur Misuari of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) on Monday last week. (SDR/Sunnex)