4 MNLF rebels killed in fresh gunfight-A A +A
Friday, September 20, 2013
ZAMBOANGA CITY (Updated) -- Four Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) rebels were killed while two soldiers were wounded as fresh firefight ensued Friday, the 12th day of the standoff.
Lieutenant Colonel Ramon Zagala, Armed Forces' of the Philippines Public Affairs officer, said the troops also recovered various high-powered firearms when the firefight ensued shortly after 6 a.m. Friday.
Zagala did not disclose where the fighting occurred, but said “it is within the area of constriction.”
The areas of constriction include the adjoining villages of Sta. Catalina and Sta. Barbara where the MNLF rebels earlier occupied and held hostage several innocent civilians.
Since the start of the standoff, 90 MNLF rebels have so far been reported killed and 93 were either captured and have surrendered.
On the government side, 14 troops were killed while 119 others were wounded since day 1 of the standoff.
The standoff started on September 9 when government troops blocked hundreds of MNLF rebels led by Habier Malik from marching toward the city hall, where the guerillas intend to hoist their flag to declare independence. (Sunnex)