Military: No coup d'etat-A A +A
Friday, September 20, 2013
A MILITARY armored personnel carrier was stalled in Sta. Mesa, Manila or a few kilometers from Malacanang while on a logistics run on Friday, fanning rumors of a destabilization move.
Major Emmanuel Garcia, commander of the 1st Civil Relations Group, said the military vehicle -- which came from Camp Aquino in Tarlac City -- was not part of a coup d'etat.
"Being a junior officer myself, I would like to allay fears of coup d'etat. There is no such thing...There is no issue," said Garcia, whose unit is based in the camp - home of the AFP's Northern Luzon Command (NolCom).
Incidentally, the commander of NolCom is Maj. Gen. Pio Gregorio Catapang, who was among the members of the Reform the Armed Forces Movement that staged failed coups in the 80s against the late President Corazon Aquino, the mother of current president, Benigno Aquino III.
"There is no truth to that," added Garcia of supposed coup d'etat. "The Armed Forces is fully supportive of the Aquino administration... It was on a logistics run," he added of the troubled armored vehicle which is armed with a 50 caliber machinegun.
Garcia said a convoy of 11 military trucks left the camp around 2 a.m. Friday to transport assorted ammunition to Sangley Point in Cavite. The convoy was escorted by two Simba vehicles, including the one that stalled.
He said the ammunition was intended for troops fighting Moro National Liberation Front fighters in Zamboanga City. The ammunition was due to be shipped to Zamboanga City by a Navy vessel.
At around 4 a.m., Garcia said one the Simbas lost its brake at the vicinity of Pureza street in Sta Mesa. The convoy proceeded to Sangley, leaving behind the troubled vehicle, which was manned by three personnel.
He said Presidential Security Group personnel responded to the scene to extend assistance. He said the armored vehicle was towed to the Army headquarters in Fort Bonifacio around 10 a.m. for repair.
"It took the shortest route to Sangley if you look at the map," said Garcia when asked the convoy took the way. He said the route is an easy way to Sangley when there is no traffic congestion.
Last week, a manifesto, coming from a group called Reformed Officers Union, criticized the government on various issues, including the misused pork barrel funds. (VR/Sunnex)