Palace explains where Aquino admin spent Malampaya Fund-A A +A
Friday, September 20, 2013
(UPDATED) The Aquino administration spent some P15 billion of the controversial Malampaya Fund for the past two years, a Palace official said Friday.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte, in a press briefing, explained where the current government has so far earmarked the royalties that the national government has received from the Malampaya gas project in Palawan province amid reports that some P23.6 billion of government's share from this project was allegedly misused during the Arroyo government.
Valte said that eight energy-related projects in 2011 and two last year were implemented using the Malampaya Fund.
According to Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, Valte said that the government has still P130 billion available fund from Malampaya.
"It was only in 2011 that we got fund from Malampaya and since then, we have funded 10 projects. The total cost of all (the projects) was P15,255,416,490," she said.
In 2011, the projects funded by Malampaya royalties include fuel requirement of National Power Corporation-Small Power Utilities (P2 billion); Public Transport Assistance Program (PTAP)-Pantawid Pasada (P300 million); PTAP-Pantawid Pasada (P150 million); acquisition/transfer of USCGC Hamilton for the protection and security of the Malampaya Natural Gas-to-Power (MNGP) Project (P423 million); fuel requirement, genset lease/rental, and half of capital expenditures requirements of NPC-Small Power Utilities Group (P1.62 billion).
Upgrading of its capability requirements for 2011 relative to the security and protection of the Malampaya Natural Gas-to-Power Project (P4.95 billion); Sitio Electrification Project (P814 million); and NPC's short term loan facility with Land Bank of the Philippines-missionary electrification (P3 billion).
In 2012, Malampaya Fund was spent for the Barangay Line Enhancement and Sitio Electrification Projects (P1.108 billion), and transfer, dry-docking and periodic hull maintenance costs of one weather high endurance cutter class vessel (P880 million).
In other developments, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said it will try to file cases next week against businesswoman Janet Napoles and government officials who pocketed P900 million in Malampaya funds.
De Lima was in the NBI to check the progress of case build up.
"Iyon ang target (next week) namin pero ayaw muna namin magbigay ng specific date kasi baka pumalya o pumaltos," she said.
The lost funds were intended for victims of storms Ondoy and Pepeng in 2009. (SDR/Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)