6 suspects in Davantes slay charged-A A +A
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
MANILA (2nd Update) -- Six suspects responsible in the killing of advertising executive Kristelle "Kaye" Davantes on September 7 are facing charges before the Department of Justice (DOJ).
Charged Tuesday with qualified carnapping and robbery with homicide were Reggie Diel, Lloyd Benedict Enriquez, Samuel Decimo, Kelvin "Jorek" Evangelista, Jomar Pepito, and Baser Minalang. Evangelista, Pepito, and Minalang are still at large.
"After careful evaluation and analysis, it was found out resulting from inescapable conclusion that the instant case is a well-coordinated 'hit' in ordinary parlance or a treacherous attack leading to the death the victim (Davantes), perpetrated by unequalled six malefactors in concert and in grave conspiracy with one another...," stated the complaint prepared by the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG).
According to the special investigation of Task Group Kaye, the uncle of the victim Vicente Davantes appeared before Prosecutor Omar Casimiro as a complainant.
Suspects Diel and Enriquez are now in the custody of the Philippine National Police's Criminal Investigation and Detection Group in Southern Metro Manila, while Decimo is now in the custody of the National Bureau of Investigation.
Enriquez was arrested while Diel surrendered last Friday. The PNP said manhunt operations against the other suspects had been hampered by bad weather from Saturday to Monday.
Lawyer Virgilo Mendez, NBI deputy director for regional operations, said earlier that one of the witnesses in Davantes' killing was placed under the DOJ's witness protection program.
Mendez refused to disclose the identity of the witness to ensure his safety and security. (PNA/Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)