Half of jobless Pinoys didn’t look for work, says study-A A +A
Sunday, September 29, 2013
MANILA -- A government-commissioned study said over one million unemployed Filipinos cannot blame anyone else but themselves for not being able to find a job.
The July 2013 Labor Force Survey (LFS) of the Bureau of Labor and Employment Statistics (BLES) results showed that 1.49 million of the more than 3 million unemployed did not look for work.
“The other half (49.7 percent or 1.491 million) did not look for work due to valid reasons,” said the BLES study.
An estimated 445,000 said they are still awaiting results of previous job applications; 424,000 said they were waiting to be rehired; 410,000 said they believe there is no work available; 198,000 reasoned their temporary illness/disability; and 14,000 said they didn’t because of bad weather.
As for the other 1.51 million unemployed, the BLES study revealed that 890,000 of them only went on job hunting for only less than four weeks.
The study further revealed that 419,000 looked for job vacancies between four to nine weeks; 91,000 went at it for 10 to 19 weeks; 27,000 said they went on a job hunt for 20-29 weeks; while 23,000 persevered for 30 weeks and above.
According to the July 2013 LFS of the National Statistics Office (NSO), the unemployment rate went up to 7.3 percent from last year’s 7 percent.
The most number of jobless Filipinos come from the National Capital Region (NRC) with 571,000 (10.9 percent).
Other regions with higher unemployment rate than the national average are Calabarzon at 488,000 (9.1 percent); Central Luzon at 397,000 (9 percent); Ilocos Region at 184,000 (8.5 percent); and Western Visayas at 241,000 (7.5 percent). (HDT/Sunnex)