Senate to tackle Napoles' appearance in 'pork' scam probe on October 14-A A +A
Tuesday, October 1, 2013
SENATE President Franklin Drilon's decision not to summon Janet Napoles in the chamber's probe on the alleged pork barrel scam may be sustained or overturned by his colleagues in a caucus on October 14.
"In view of the response of Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales, I will submit the issue whether to issue a subpoena to Napoles to the decision and judgment of the senators," Drilon said Tuesday.
Drilon consulted Morales again on the issue last week after blue ribbon committee chairperson Senator Teofisto Guingona III asked him to reconsider his position not to subpoena Napoles.
Morales maintained her earlier advice to the Senate not to hear Napoles' testimony "at this time" as the plunder cases against those involved in the scam which she allegedly masterminded are currently undergoing evaluation by her office.
“What is at stake here is the ability of the Office of the Ombudsman to prosecute the PDAF (priority development assistance fund) misuse cases against the Napoles with dispatch and without delay. This is the principal goal of our justice system," said Drilon.
The senate president said “prudence and caution” guided his decision not to compel Napoles to attend the hearing.
Congress is on a session break until October 13. (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)