SC: Zamboanga courts may be functional next week-A A +A
Wednesday, October 2, 2013
COURTS in Zamboanga City may start holding hearings at the Hall of Justice (HOJ) next week or a month after government troops figured in a gun battle with the faction of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) led by Nur Misuari.
"By next week, hopefully hearings can resume, subject to clearance from the military," said Court Administrator Midas Marquez on Wednesday.
Marquez said judges and court personnel have been allowed by the military to enter the building, whose power connection has yet to be restored.
"Ninety percent of the glass windows have been shattered. Roof and walls have been damaged by mortars and gunfire. Also, one has to walk at least a kilometer to reach the HOJ as vehicles are not allowed to go near the premises," he said.
Despite the building's bad condition, the Zamboanga Executive Judge instructed male court personnel to clean the court premises and form a skeletal force to address the concerns of litigants.
Government work and businesses had already resumed in the city even as the military is still hunting remnants of MNLF rebels, who will be facing cases such as rebellion for the siege.
The city had asked Malacañang to place it under state of calamity to ensure deployment of government resources needed for rehabilitation of affected areas. (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)