BOC files charges against five for smuggling rice

-A A +A

Thursday, October 3, 2013


THE Bureau of Customs (BOC) on Thursday filed smuggling charges against the owners and brokers of four trading companies for attempting to smuggle into the country 16 container vans of rice worth over P11 million.

Customs Commissioner Ruffy Biazon and newly appointed Deputy Commissioner for Revenue Collection and Monitoring Group (RCMG) Editha Tan filed the charges at the Department of Justice (DOJ), against the owner of Ocean Park Enterprises Maricris L. Wu and her broker Fares Fel R. Roma for violation of Sections 3601 and 3602, including Sections 2503 and 2530 of the Tariffs and Customs Code of the Philippines (TCCP).

Biazon said Ocean Park’s shipment of 10 twenty-footer container vans of smuggled rice from Myanmar worth P6.650 million were part of the 1,169 container vans of smuggled rice that were seized by BOC operatives at the Port of Cebu earlier this year.

On the other hand, Vintage Eagle Marketing owner Julius M. Hinoo, together with Mindanao Portal Enterprises owner Edmundo L. Acuno and Zone Zodiac Commercial owner Fernando A. Palingcod were all charged, also for violating Sections 3601 and 3602, including Sections 2503 and 2530 of the Tariffs and Customs Code of the Philippines (TCCP), for attempting to smuggle into the country two (2) forty-footer container vans of rice from Hong kong through the Mindanao Container Port early part of 2013.

Each shipment was worth P1.5 million and all were misdeclared as prefabricated houses.

“I am warning all importers and traders, especially those involved in the importation of agricultural products, to desist from smuggling and for them pay the right duties for their importations as, sooner or later, we will confront you in the court of law,” the Customs chief said in a statement.

Thursday’s filing of smuggling charges brings to 104, the total number of cases filed by the bureau during Biazon’s two years as Customs Chief.

A total of 148 smuggling cases filed by the BOC at the DOJ during the administration of President Simeon Benigno Aquino III. (FP/Sunnex)

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
Sun.Star Jobs
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Habemus Papam
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Philippine Polls
  • Filipino Abroad
  • goodearth
  • Pacman blog
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Sinulog
  • Obituary
  • Festivals
  • Technology
  • ePaper
  • Pnoy
  • Calamity Report