Comelec: Postponement of election in Cebu, Bohol possible-A A +A
Tuesday, October 15, 2013
THE effects of the magnitude-7.2 earthquake on Tuesday may force the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to postpone the October 28 barangay polls in quake-hit areas in the Visayas.
Comelec spokesman James Jimenez said postponing elections in Bohol and other affected areas is possible if it is proven that it would be impossible to hold the polls given the destruction caused by the strong earthquake.
"If in Zamboanga, there were a lot of schools that were supposed to be used in the elections are being utilized as evacuation centers, it is not far-fetched that the same scenario will happen in Bohol and Cebu," said Jimenez referring to the standoff in the southern port city.
To recall, the Comelec had already postponed the elections in Zamboanga City after it was turned into a warzone when Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) and the government forces had a three-week standoff.
On Tuesday, a magnitude-7.2 earthquake hit the Visayas area with at least four people instantly killed.
It also caused the collapse of several establishments such as buildings, churches, and roads.
Section 5 of the Omnibus Election Code provides that the postponement of polls can be made if there is “violence, terrorism, loss or destruction of election paraphernalia or records, force majeure and other analogous causes”.
Jimenez, though, stressed that it is still too early for the commission to decide if the elections there shall be postponed considering that all reports remain sketchy as of press time.
"We still need to assess how the earthquake affected our schools also since they will be used as voting centers. It is still early to say but, for sure, we are looking into it right now," said Jimenez. (HDT/Sunnex)