Power restored in parts of Bohol, Negros Oriental-A A +A
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
THE National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) on Wednesday afternoon restored power transmission services to parts of Bohol and Negros Oriental, a day after a magnitude-7.2 quake hit Central Visayas.
As of 4 p.m., the NGCP said it had restored power transmission services to parts of the Negros Oriental Electric Cooperative (Noreco II).
The NGCP said it re-energized the Bacong-Siaton 69kV line at 12:29 p.m. It said the Bacong-Siaton 69KV line had tripped at 9:44 a.m. Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the NGCP restored the transmission lines serving the Bohol Light Company Inc. (BLCI) area after re-energizing the Tagbilaran-Corella 69kV line at 4:13 p.m. The only remaining transmission facility undergoing restoration is the Corella-Catigbian-Carmen 69 KV line.
In a statement, the Department of Energy (DOE) said electricity in 74 percent of the province has been restored. The municipalities of Tubigon, Clarin, Carmen, Corella, Sikatuna and Baclayon already have power as of 6 p.m. while Calape, Inabanga, Catigbian and Batuan will be energized later in the evening.
Electricity in the towns of San Isidro, Loon, Balilihan, Sagbayan, Bilar, Maribojoc, Antequera and Cortes will be restored on Thursday, according to the DOE.
"Worst case scenario would be two to three days of no power, depending on the assessment of our people on the ground. We still have to continue monitoring the situation there; aftershocks are still imminent danger,” said Energy Undersecretary Raul Aguilos.
Aguilos said they are also looking into the possibility of deploying small generator sets to provide power to critical facilities and communication services while assessment of the safety of the buildings and other structures are ongoing.
"We are just making final deliberations on how to deploy the 2 to 3 KW capacity gensets to secure power in calamity stricken areas, especially in the hospitals and other offices providing basic services," he said.
Parts of Central Visayas were without power following the powerful quake that hit Tuesday morning.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Cebu, Bohol and Siquijor were among the hardest hit areas.
There were no reports of fuel supply problems in Cebu but the DOE is still closely coordinating with oil companies that have operations in the provinces affected to assess the impact of the earthquake in their gasoline stations and facilities.
The DOE said one oil depot in Tagbilaran is undergoing inspection after suffering a minor damage while 14 gasoline stations in Bohol were closed due to damages and tsunami scare, whose possibility had already been ruled out by state seismologists. (Virgil Lopez/JK/Sunnex)