More bodies found in quake-hit Bohol-A A +A
Thursday, October 17, 2013
CEBU CITY (Updated) -- Search and rescue operations in Bohol towns badly hit by the 7.2-magnitude earthquake continue Thursday, bringing the death toll to 161 as of 6 p.m., the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said.
The number of injured people rose to 375, while the missing persons in Bohol went down to 21. Most of the fatalities are from Bohol province with 149 dead, 11 in Cebu and one in Siquijor. The small coastal town of Loon reported 20 fatalities, the highest in Bohol, including those buried in a hospital and a church. Loon and Maribojoc towns are isolated, said officials.
The Office of Civil Defense said the quake has affected 676,065 families in seven cities and 45 towns in Central Philippines. About 2,938 houses were destroyed while 16,371 were damaged in Bohol and Cebu alone. The NDRRMC said 75 percent of power in Bohol had been restored as of 7 p.m. Wednesday.
As of Thursday evening, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) recorded at least 1,391 aftershocks.
On Thursday morning, a magnitude 5.5 aftershock from Tuesday's magnitude 7.2 quake also hit Bohol province, but state seismologists said no damage was expected.
Phivolcs said the aftershock was recorded at 7:37 a.m., two days after the deadly quake. The epicenter was traced to 18 kilometers northwest of Tagbilaran City.
The agency said the aftershock was felt at:
Intensity VI: Tagbilaran City
Intensity IV: Dumaguete City; Lapu Lapu City; Sibulan, Negros Oriental
Intensity II: Maasin, Southern Leyte; Mambajao, Camiguin
Phivolcs earlier said aftershocks may be expected in the next few days, but are expected to become less frequent after that.
Secretaries Manuel Roxas II (Local Government), Dinky Soliman (Social Welfare), Joseph Abaya (Transportation) and Rogelio Singson (Public Works) were already in Bohol to oversee rescue, clearing and relief operations.
The Department of Public Works and Highways, meanwhile, reported damaged roads and bridges in Bohol and Cebu. In Bohol, 20 bridges and four roads remained not passable. A total of 303 houses were also damaged both in Bohol and Cebu.
Historic churches dating from the Spanish colonial period suffered the most. Among them was the country's oldest, the 16th-century Basilica of the Holy Child in Cebu, which lost its bell tower.
Nearly half of a 17th-century limestone church in Loboc town, southwest of Carmen, was reduced to rubble.
Extensive damage also hit densely populated Cebu City, causing deaths when a building in Pasil port and the roof of a market area collapsed. The province was also placed under a state of calamity.