SC transfers MNLF cases to Taguig court-A A +A
Thursday, October 17, 2013
CASES against Nur Misuari and his followers in the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) in relation to the bloody battle in Zamboanga City last month will be heard in a Taguig court.
In a press briefing Thursday, Supreme Court spokesperson Theodore Te said the justices granted the request of the Department of Justice (DOJ) to transfer the hearing from Zamboanga City to ensure safety of witnesses.
The Zamboanga City Hall of Justice also sustained heavy damage from the three-week gunfire between soldiers and MNLF rebels who tried to gain control of the port city.
The government defeated Misuari's forces on September 28, prompting the DOJ to pursue cases of rebellion and violation of international humanitarian law against Misuari and 60 others last week.
Arrest warrants were then issued by the Zamboanga City Regional Trial Court branch 13 against top MNLF leaders who remain at large including Misuari, who is said to be hiding in Sulu.
The standoff left hundreds of people dead and thousands taking shelter in evacuation centers. (Sunnex)