NDRRMC: Quake death toll rises to 171-A A +A
Friday, October 18, 2013
MANILA -- The number of fatalities from the magnitude 7.2 quake in Central Visayas last Tuesday rose to 171 as of Friday morning, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
Of the 171, the most recent deaths were from Bohol, the NDRRMC noted in its 6 a.m. update.
It said that of the 171 fatalities, 159 were from Bohol, 11 from Cebu and one from Siquijor.
Also, the NDRRMC said some 1,581 aftershocks had been recorded since Tuesday, with 29 of them being felt.
The NDRRMC added 375 were injured while 20 are still missing.
So far, the quake has affected 676,065 families or 3,426,718 people. Of these, 20,034 families or 97,618 people are staying in 85 evacuation centers.
The disaster council also estimated the damage in roads, bridges and flood control services to cost about P563.66 million in Cebu and Bohol alone. (JK/Sunnex)