Bohol barangay polls suspended-A A +A
Monday, October 21, 2013
MANILA (Updated) -- The Commission on Elections (Comelec) suspended on Monday the October 28 barangay elections in Bohol after the province was devastated by last week's magnitude 7.2 earthquake that killed at least 186 people.
The suspension was decided unanimously in an en banc session, said Comelec chairperson Sixto Brillantes who personally went to Bohol over the weekend to conduct ocular inspections of the affected areas.
"We are coming out with a resolution. We will postpone it therefore so there will be no issue anymore," he said. The resolution will be released Tuesday.
Brillantes said that a special election will be held in Bohol within the month but he noted that there is no specific date yet since they are still assessing the situation in several affected areas.
The poll body official said that the campaign period for the barangay elections in Bohol is also affected by the postponement since there's still no definite date of the elections.
"Wala nang mangangampanya, 'yun ang mangyayari. We will also release the schedule of calendar of activities in the province, which include the rescheduled date of the elections and the campaign period which is a week before," Brilantes said.
Earlier, Comelec decided to shelve the elections in Zamboanga following a three-week hostilities between the government forces and the armed followers of Moro Islamic Liberation Front chairman Nur Misuari.
Elections in other parts of the country will proceed on Monday, October 28. (Sunnex)