NDRRMC: Quake death toll climbs to 186-A A +A
Monday, October 21, 2013
MANILA -- The death toll from last week's magnitude 7.2 quake in Central Visayas rose to 186 Monday morning, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said.
At least 2,193 aftershocks - 46 of which were felt - had also been recorded as of 6 a.m. Monday, the NDRRMC said in its update.
The NDRRMC also said the quake inflicted damage of P867.24 million, including P763.48 million in Bohol alone.
Of the 186 fatalities, the NDRRMC said 173 were from Bohol while 12 were from Cebu. One was from Siquijor. At least 11 remain missing, all from Bohol, it added.
Some 605,350 families or 3,003,001 people in 1,339 villages in 52 towns and six cities in six provinces had been affected by the quake, the NDRRMC said.
It added 22,113 families or 109,712 people are staying in 96 evacuation centers. (JK/Sunnex)