SC to discuss Friday motion to stop DAP-A A +A
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
SUPREME Court justices will meet on Friday to tackle an urgent motion asking them to stop the government from using the Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) in the rehabilitation of areas affected by last week’s strong earthquake in Central Visayas.
In his urgent motion for temporary restraining order (TRO), former Iloilo Representative Augusto Syjuco Jr. said Malacañang cannot use DAP in light of questions regarding its constitutionality.
Syjuco shared the view of five other petitioners that DAP is illegal because it was not created by law and the funds were taken from slow moving projects which were not yet completed.
The former lawmaker also hit Budget Secretary Florencio Abad for allegedly misleading the public that the calamity fund, which is about P7.5 billion in 2013, is about to be depleted. President Benigno Aquino III backed Abad, admitting last week that only P1.37 billion was left of the fund.
“Constitutional doctrines must remain steadfast no matter what may be the tides of time. It cannot be simply made to sway and accommodate the call of situations and much more tailor itself to the whims and caprices of government and the people who run it,” the motion stated.
Meanwhile, SC spokesperson Theodore Te said Tuesday the petition of lawyer Jose Malvar Villegas was consolidated with five others. The government was given 10 days to file its comment on the petitions.
An oral argument on DAP’s constitutionality was set on November 19. (Sunnex)