NDRRMC: Almost 3,000 aftershocks recorded-A A +A
Thursday, October 24, 2013
NEARLY 3,000 aftershocks have been recorded in the wake of a magnitude 7.2 quake that devastated Central Visayas last Oct. 15, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Thursday.
As of 6 a.m. Thursday, the NDRRMC also said more than three million people have been affected by the deadly quake.
Citing data from the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, it said 2,654 aftershocks were recorded since the Oct. 15 quake. Of these, it said 68 had been felt.
Meanwhile, the number of people affected by the magnitude 7.2 quake reached 3,158,009 in 1,494 villages in 59 towns and six cities in six provinces.
Of these, 14,740 families or 78,897 people are staying in 125 evacuation centers.
The death toll remained at 198, while the number of injured went up to 668.
Damage to property was estimated at P1,426,542,000, including P1.227 billion in Bohol and P197.401 million in Cebu. (JK/Sunnex)