Bohol quake death toll breaches 200-mark-A A +A
Friday, October 25, 2013
MANILA -- The number of fatalities from last week's magnitude 7.2 quake in Central Visayas went beyond 200 early Friday, with the latest deaths from Cebu and Bohol.
In its Friday morning update, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said this brought the death toll to 201.
Of the 201 fatalities, 187 were from Bohol, 13 from Cebu, and one from Siquijor. At least 720 were injured and 10 are still missing.
The NDRRMC said the quake had affected 631,605 families or 3,158,869 people in 1,494 barangays in six provinces. Of these, 15,374 families or 82,106 people are staying in 151 evacuation centers.
Also on Friday, the NDRRMC said the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology had recorded 2,719 aftershocks, of which 71 were felt. (JK/Sunnex)