PNP: Conduct of barangay polls 'generally peaceful'-A A +A
Monday, October 28, 2013
MANILA -- Despite reported violence in some parts of the country, the Philippine National Police (PNP) on Monday said the conduct of voting process for this year's Barangay Elections was generally peaceful.
"Ang pag-cast po ng ballot ay naidaos ng mapayapa at maayos. So far generally peaceful," said Senior Superintendent Reuben Theodore Sindac, PNP Public Information Officer.
He said that all 17 Police Regional Offices across the country reported no serious concerns in their areas.
"Although there were some reported cases of isolated incidents of violence yesterday and today, including 13 incidents over the last 24 hours, these where not at all serious as to have a significant effect on the overall peace and order situation," Sindac said.
But Sindac said that they will still continue the monitor the situation since the process has now shifted to the counting which he explained is the most critical part of the electoral process.
He noted that the last 30 days of the 45-day election period which started on September 28 has recorded a total of 38 politically-motivated cases involving 32 shooting incidents and three stabbing. These incidents killed 22 and wounded at least 34 individuals. Of the total 73 victims, eight were reported missing based on the Task Force SAFE 2013 “Alpha” Action Center reports.
Meanwhile, as of 4 p.m., 219 were arrested overnight during the implementation of the 24-hour liquor ban.
The arrested liquor ban violators will face possible imprisonment up to six years for violating the Omnibus Election Code.
At least 622 were arrested due to the ongoing gun ban by the Commission on Elections (Comelec).
Sindac said that among those arrested were 578 civilians, eight policemen, nine from the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) including three CAFGUs, 21 security guards, and six government officials.
The statistics also showed that 5,420 firearms, ammunition and other weapons/explosives were seized. (Sunnex)