Proclamation of winning 'nuisance' bets suspended-A A +A
Monday, October 28, 2013
MANILA -- The Commission on Elections (Comelec) en banc said Monday that it will suspend the proclamation in areas where the winning candidates are not registered voters, nuisance bets or are convicted with a criminal offense.
Chairperson Sixto Brillantes Jr. said that the commission en banc is so far monitoring eight cases on nuisance candidates, more than 300 in relation to being registered voters, and at least three local candidates have been found convicted on criminal charges.
"Candidates who have already been found (guilty), 'yung meron ng criminal conviction, which although executory sa Ombudsman, hindi pa naman final. Hindi pa naman disqualified but we'd rather suspend them," Brillantes explained.
The en banc targets to resolve the cases before noon of November 30 or when the term of the local incumbent officials expires. (Sunnex)