Quake death toll rises to 218, more aftershocks felt-A A +A
Tuesday, October 29, 2013
MANILA -- The number of fatalities from the magnitude 7.2 quake that struck Central Visayas last October 15 rose further to 218 as of Monday evening, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said.
In its 6 p.m. update, the NDRRMC said the latest fatalities were all from Bohol province, the area hit hardest by the quake.
Among them were Franklin Alipala, 30; Marina Aparicio, 66; and Basilisa Garcia, 67, all of Getafe town in Bohol.
This brought to 204 the number of fatalities in Bohol alone. Other fatalities included 13 from Cebu and one from Siquijor.
Also, the NDRRMC said 768 were injured, including 674 from Bohol, 89 from Cebu, three from Siquijor, and one each from Iloilo and Negros Oriental.
Eight people are still missing, all of them from Bohol.
The NDRRMC said the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology as of 5 p.m. Monday recorded 2,984 aftershocks, of which 83 were felt.
It also said the quake has so far affected 671,779 families or 3,217,094 people in 1,527 villages in 60 towns and six cities in six provinces.
Of these, 20,677 families or 105,186 people are staying in 367 evacuation centers.
Damage was estimated at P2.203 billion, including P1.383 billion in Bohol and P817.951 million in Cebu. (JK/Sunnex)