Whistleblowers tag Napoles in new ‘scam’-A A +A
Tuesday, November 5, 2013
APART from pork barrel and Malampaya gas funds, businesswoman Janet Napoles also allegedly used bogus non-government organizations (NGOs) to pocket money from projects funded by congressional insertions way back in 2004.
In an interview on Tuesday, whistleblowers' lawyer Levito Baligod said Napoles and some congressmen abused a P407-million fund of a still unidentified agency. He said cases will come after the filing of the second batch of pork barrel-related charges next week.
"In due time you will know that there is a P407-million fund. I will not identify the agency now but itong P407 million pinaghatian ng iilang congressmen at lahat na nag-supply ay equipment company owned by Ms. Napoles," said Baligod, leaning on documentary evidence and statements from whistleblowers led by Benhur Luy.
Senators and congressmen, who have the power of purse, normally lobby for funding for their pet projects during budget deliberations. They charge these to lump-items, which run into billions of pesos.
Meanwhile, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said 10 or more lawmakers will face cases in connection with the alleged misuse of the priority development assistance fund (PDAF).
"Gusto ko sana ay substantial number dun sa second batch para meron namang, you know, some impact," she said.
Senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Jinggoy Estrada and Ramon Revilla Jr. were among the 38 individuals included in the first batch of plunder and other cases lodged by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) before the Office of the Ombudsman.
The Department of Justice (DOJ) had already asked the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) to cancel the passports of the respondents, earning the ire of senators involved.
Estrada left for the United States last Saturday to accompany his wife, Precy, in seeking medical opinion regarding a lump on her breast. (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)