OFW new hires to remain banned in Egypt-A A +A
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
AMID possible illegal recruitment efforts, the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) yesterday stressed that deployment of new hires in Egypt remains prohibited.
According to POEA Administrator Hans Cacdac, they will still disallow new overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) from going to Egypt even though the Crisis Alert Level has been lowered.
“Until it is lowered to Alert Level 1, new hires will remain banned (in Egypt),” said Cacdac.
Last week, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) announced the lowering of the Crisis Alert Level 3 (Voluntary Repatriation) to Alert Level 2 (Restriction Phase) due to continued improvement in the political and security situation in Egypt.
However, the POEA chief said the Governing Board has already agreed to allow returning OFWs to be deployed.
“The POEA Governing Board is set to issue a resolution allowing Balik-Manggagawa to return,” said Cacdac.
To recall, the POEA suspended deployment of newly-hired OFWs to Egypt last July.
A month later, the POEA implemented a total deployment ban in Egypt due to the continued deterioration of the security situation in Egypt. (HDT/Sunnex)