DOLE hints at possible deployment ban to Yemen-A A +A
Sunday, December 8, 2013
THE Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) is not discounting the possibility of imposing a deployment ban to Yemen on the heels of the death of seven overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) there last week.
In an interview, Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said there is a possibility of imposing a deployment ban once the situation there worsens or if it is deemed necessary by the government.
“We will be checking with our labor attaché in Saudi Arabia about the latest situation in Yemen… but we were made to understand that they are safe,” Baldoz said.
She also noted that the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) already sent an official to properly assess the security situation in Yemen.
A few days ago, seven Filipino medical workers were killed while 22 other Filipinos were hurt in a suicide bombing incident in Yemen.
The DFA responded by raising the Crisis Alert Level 1 in Yemen, which indicates that Filipinos there are safe and there is no need for a deployment ban.
Because of the Alert Level 1, Baldoz said they are not yet imposing a deployment ban to Yemen for OFWs.
“There is no deployment ban to Yemen and there is no advice from the DFA has yet to stop deployment,” the labor chief said.
Baldoz said DOLE and the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) can only stop deployment to Yemen upon the recommendation of the DFA. (HDT/Sunnex)