Yemen steps up security after deadly attack-A A +A
Sunday, December 8, 2013
ADEN, Yemen — Yemeni officials said security has been beefed up at a number of foreign diplomatic missions as well as government buildings in the capital Sanaa following a deadly attack earlier this week on the Defense Ministry that left 56 people dead.
Three intelligence officials said Saturday that new police checkpoints were erected around the US, British, and other foreign embassies and new patrols were dispatched.
Officials said security was also heightened near hotels and public institutions, including the intelligence headquarters and Oil Ministry.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity, because they were not authorized to brief reporters.
Al-Qaida's local branch claimed responsibility for the Thursday attack, said it targeted the complex, because it housed US experts. It said any headquarters used by Americans was a legitimate target.
Of the 56 fatalities, 11 Filipinos were slightly injured. Seven of them include a doctor and nurses. The victims are among 40 Filipino workers in the hospital inside the complex, and 1,000 Filipinos in Yemen. Read the story here.(AP)