8 arrested for selling illegal fireworks, using guns-A A +A
Tuesday, December 24, 2013
MANILA (Updated)-- At least eight people have been arrested for selling illegal fireworks and for using guns to welcome Christmas.
The Philippine National Police said it will continue to go after vendors of such items during the holiday, a radio report said Tuesday.
Police had gone on alert to ensure a peaceful Christmas and New Year, and to help prevent fireworks-related injuries.
The Department of Health said that as of 6 a.m. Tuesday, there were 21 fireworks-related injuries.
National Epidemiology Center head Dr. Enrique Tayag said 12 of these injuries were due to the piccolo.
He said this was the same number of injuries as in 2012.
Based on the Aksyon: Paputok Injury Reduction (APIR) Report No. 3, the Department of Health (DOH) said there are now 21 cases of fireworks-related injuries from December 21 (6 a.m.) to December 24 (6 a.m.).
Also, 18 of the 21 injuries were found to be male while six of those injured were children that are less than 10 years old.
“Children who were injured most likely used Piccolo,” noted Tayag in a phone interview.
Piccolo has been the perennial top injurer every New Year celebration. Last year, 236 out of the 904 total firework-related injuries were caused by Piccolo.
On the other hand, eight of those injured were found to be passive users, or those that did not directly used the firecracker.
Ten of the cases of injuries were found to have come from the National Capital Region (NCR) followed by Western Visayas with four; and Calabarzon with three.
Ilocos region had three, Central Luzon seven; Central Visayas, and Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) had one case each.
The DOH had earlier called on the public to shun using firecrackers in a bid to prevent another spate of injured revelers welcoming the New Year. (JK/HDT/Sunnex)