Total deployment ban up in South Sudan-A A +A
Tuesday, December 24, 2013
MANILA -- Following the raising of Crisis Alert Level 3 in South Sudan, the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) has imposed a total deployment ban in the conflict-stricken nation.
In a phone interview, Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz related that the POEA Governing Board is already issuing a resolution that will prohibit overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) from going to South Sudan.
“The POEA Governing Board is issuing today a total deployment ban for new and returning workers in South Sudan,” said Baldoz.
Similarly, the labor chief said they will already be sending notifications to concerned recruitment agencies and insurers regarding the deployment ban.
Baldoz also assured OFWs that will be coming home from South Sudan that proper assistance will be afforded to them.
“We will continue to coordinate with the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and airport assistance will be extended to those who will be coming home,” said Baldoz.
Records show that of the 95 Filipinos there, about 60 OFWs currently in South Sudan.
On Monday, the DFA raised the crisis alert level in South Sudan to 3, which entails a voluntary repatriation program for Filipino nationals there.
Last week, violent clashes erupted between rival camps of President Salva Kiir and former Vice President Riek Machar after the former accused the latter of attempting a coup.
On Sunday, South Sudan's government disclosed that the rebels have already seized the capital of the Unity State, Bentiu, which raised fears of an all-out civil war. (HDT/Sunnex)