DOH records revelry injuries from stray bullet-A A +A
Wednesday, December 25, 2013
MANILA (Updated)-- A 23-year-old man from Ormoc City in Leyte is the first victim of a stray bullet while a one-year-old boy from Quezon City is the first victim of fireworks ingestion during the revelry this year.
National Epidemiology Center head Dr. Eric Tayag said the 23-year-old victim suffered an open fracture after being hit in the thigh last Monday.
He said the man had an open fracture in the left femur after being hit in the thigh at home on December 23 at 1:30 a.m.
The stray bullet victim was admitted at the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center in Cebu City.
He added a one-year-old boy from Quezon City swallowed a "pop up" firework.
Tayag also said a senior citizen had his eyeball ruptured by firecrackers. He described the victim as 65 years old from Iloilo.
As of 6 a.m. Wednesday, Tayag said the Department of Health (DOH) had recorded 42 firework-related injuries. The number doubled within 24 hours, according to the DOH report.
On Tuesday, there were only 21 firecracker-related injuries.
Of the recorded injuries reported by all 50 DOH sentinel hospitals nationwide, 40 were related to fireworks, led by the 19 caused by Piccolo.
Thirty-four of those injured by firecrackers were found to be male and that 10 of the victims are aged 10 years old and below.
Blast injuries not requiring amputation totaled to 36 and another five were eye injuries.
Aside from Piccolo, other injurious firecrackers were unknown fireworks (5), pillbox (3), and five-star (3).
Despite this, the DOH said the number of firecracker-related injuries recorded is 13 cases lower compared to the same period last year.
Also, there remains to be no deaths reported ahead of the New Year’s Eve revelry.
Majority of the cases (20) were recorded in the National Capital Region (NCR) followed by the five each from Ilocos region, Calabarzon, and Western Visayas.(JK/HDT/Sunnex)