OFWs in Yemen call for lowering of alert level-A A +A
Sunday, December 29, 2013
OVERSEAS Filipino workers (OFWs) in Yemen are calling for the Philippine government to lower the crisis alert level there, according to an official of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).
In an interview, Labor Attaché David Dicang related that OFWs there are questioning the grounds of the raising of the crisis alert level in Yemen from 2 to 3.
“In our meeting with them, some of the Filipinos said they will be coming out with a letter asking the Philippine government to lower the alert level from 3 to 2,” Dicang said.
He noted that the OFWs believe that the bombing incident at the Defense Ministry Complex, where seven OFWs were killed, was only an isolated case.
So far, the labor official said that only 30 out of the estimated 1,300 Filipinos in Yemen have registered for voluntary repatriation.
“A total of 27 Filipinos, who have been working at the Defense Ministry Hospital, where seven Filipinos died following a suicide bombing attack, are due to return home first week of January,” he said.
“There are 14 other Filipinos, who are working in other areas that have registered for repatriation, but until this time, only three have confirmed,” Dicang furthered.
Earlier in the month, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) had announced the raising of Alert Level 3 in Yemen following the death of over 50 people, including seven Filipinos, from a suicide bombing incident in Sana'a.
In response, the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) immediately implemented a total deployment ban for OFWs. (HDT/Sunnex)