8 killed in clash between Yemen army, tribesmen

-A A +A

Monday, December 30, 2013

SANAA, Yemen -- A Yemeni military official said fighting in the country's south between troops and tribesmen angry over a deadly shelling last week has killed eight people — five troops and three tribesmen.

The official said tribesmen belonging to a southern secessionist movement stormed the military barracks in the province of Lahj on Monday.

He said that along with the eight killed, four soldiers are missing. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to media.

Parts of southern Yemen, where the secessionist movement is strong, have been hit by unrest recently. On Friday, shells landed near a funeral tent in the southern province of Dali, adjacent to Lahj, killing 19 people.

South Yemen was an independent state until unification with the north in 1990. (AP)

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Obituary
  • Pacman blog
  • Calamity Report
  • Habemus Papam
  • Festivals
  • Sinulog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Technology
  • goodearth
  • Filipino Abroad
  • ePaper
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Pnoy
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • SunStar Celebrity