House probe pushed as COA sees anomalies in CCT program-A A +A
Thursday, January 9, 2014
A LAWMAKER is seeking a congressional investigation into the implementation of the government's conditional cash transfer (CCT) program after the Commission on Audit (COA) reported that over P50 million was released to 7,782 non-existent household beneficiaries.
Gabriela party-list Representative Emmi De Jesus called on the House committee on poverty alleviation to take up a resolution filed last year, which seeks an inquiry, in aid of legislation, on the implementation of the CCT program under the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).
"This COA report is ample proof that Congress should review President Aquino's dubious flagship poverty program," De Jesus said.
The 2012 COA report stated that P50.15 million were granted to 7,782 families whose names do not match the list of DSWD's List of Validated and Registered Household Beneficiaries of the National Household Targeting Office (NHTO).
In a press statement, the DSWD said it has already accounted for the household beneficiaries supposedly missing from its list.
Upon double-checking of the list of the National Household Targeting System for Poverty Reduction (NHTS-PR), it was found out that 7,762 beneficiaries from the Audit Report were on the list while the other 20 were found to be part of the data that were corrupted for one week in June 2009 and for one day in December 2009.
"We are continuously implementing corrective measures and validating procedures," DSWD Secretary Dinky Soliman said.
Soliman also vowed that sanctions will be taken against its employees who will negligent in allowing households excluded in the list to benefit from the CCT program.
For this year, the DSWD was able to get a CCT fund of P62.6 billion, which is 42 percent higher than last year's budget of P44 billion.
The amount is targeted to cover 4.3 million households. (Sunnex)