Comelec told to resolve Antipolo mayoral dispute-A A +A
Friday, February 14, 2014
THE Supreme Court (SC) has directed the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to settle the poll protest filed by a losing candidate against Antipolo City Mayor Casimiro "Jun" Ynares III.
Among others, the SC dismissed Ynares' motion for reconsideration to its November 2013 decision, which found no grave abuse of discretion on the part of the Comelec when it ruled that the protest of ex-Antipolo Mayor Danilo Leyble was sufficient in form.
Ynares, a three-term governor, won the May 2013 elections after getting 128,108 votes while Leyble had 121,032.
Leyble, however, said the polls had been tainted with massive vote-buying, harassment and questionable vote tallies from some defective precinct count optical scan (PCOS) machines.
Leyble was backed by the ruling Liberal Party of President Benigno Aquino III.
Ynares, who ran under the Nationalist People's Coalition (NPC), is the brother-in-law of opposition Senator Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr., one of the lawmakers accused of pocketing kickbacks for diverting his Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) to ghost projects of detained businesswoman Janet Napoles. (Sunnex)