Cayetano: Binay victory in 2016 may spell doom for ‘pork’ charges-A A +A
Monday, February 17, 2014
MANILA -- A 2016 victory for presidential aspirant Vice President Jejomar Binay could mean the junking of plunder charges against his allies who are implicated in the controversial pork barrel scam, his critic, Senator Alan Peter Cayetano said Monday.
Cayetano made the reaction following Binay's statement that the prosecution's case against suspected plunderers is weak.
"Suddenly, meron kang naiisip na ma-undermine itong kaso na ito after 2016. Remember that until Ruby Tuason, yung incentive ng lahat ng whistleblowers, lahat ng state witness ay lumabas. At parang lumalabas, wala nang pipigil sa tuwid na daan," Cayetano said in a press statement.
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) had earlier filed plunder charges against Binay's allies Senators Jinggoy Estrada and Juan Ponce Enrile and Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr. for their alleged involvement in the diversion of their Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) to bogus non-government organizations.
Pork scam queen Janet Lim-Napoles, who allegedly put up the fake NGOs, was also charged with plunder before the Office of the Ombudsman.
"Ngayon, nagdadalawang-isip na tuloy ang mga ibang potential witnesses kung lalabas ba sila o hindi… Kung si Binay ang uupo, matutuloy ba ang mga kaso at magiging matigas pa ba ang DOJ (Department of Justice) at NBI?" Cayetano added.
"The Vice President never bugged JPE (Enrile) and Senator Jinggoy to answer. Yet he is bugging the DOJ kung bakit ganun ang handling," the senator added.
Cayetano said that the pressure is now on the Office of the Ombudsman and the DOJ not only to come up with more witnesses but to build strong evidence enough to withstand whoever sits as president in 2016. (Sunnex)