Cayetano dares Enrile to file cases vs ex-chief of staff Reyes-A A +A
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
MANILA -- Senate Minority Leader Juan Ponce Enrile should file charges against his staff members who allegedly misused his pork barrel allocation if he will continue to deny any participation in the controversial Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) scam.
This was the statement of Senate Majority Leader Alan Peter Cayetano, after he failed to pin down Enrile during the Blue Ribbon committee hearing on the pork barrel scam last week.
At the hearing, potential state witness Ruby Tuason said she had dealings with lawyer Jessica "Gigi" Reyes, Enrile's chief of staff. Tuason was then working as a broker for alleged pork scam queen Janet Lim-Napoles.
Tuason however was unsure whether Enrile knew what took place during her meetings with Reyes.
"Bakit hindi pa kinakasuhan ni Senator Enrile 'yung mga empleyado niya? If I found out na may kalokohan sa opisina ko, I have two choices lang: I fire them and file a case or i-coddle ko sila or itago," Cayetano said.
Cayetano said there are documents to show that Enrile authorized Reyes and his deputy chief-of-staff, Jose Evangelista, to sign his PDAF papers on his behalf.
Enrile, Reyes, and Evangelista are all facing plunder charges before the Office of the Ombudsman.
Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago had earlier said that Enrile's mere presence in several meetings of Tuason with Reyes is in effect giving his consent to use his PDAF allocation for fake non-government organizations.
"Alangan naman chief-of-staff mo nangingialam ng pork barrel mo. Pork barrel mo 'yan eh...Pwede bang ipabahala mo lang sa chief-of-staff mo? It just is not reality," Santiago said. (Sunnex)