Aquino to visit next week calamity-stricken areas-A A +A
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino III is set to visit next week areas hit by disasters to check for himself the developments on the government-led rehabilitation efforts.
In an interview on Wednesday, Aquino said those who were claiming that the government was too slow in its rehabilitation efforts, they just have to wait for next week when he visits those calamity-stricken areas.
"Well, palagay ko hintayin natin hanggang next week kung saan ako iikot muli, ano, both sa Yolanda, sa Pablo, Bohol na earthquake at mapakita sa inyo kung nasaan na tayo. Siguro doon sa visuals na makikita niyo na masabi niyo kung mabagal o hindi," he said.
He noted that the government has been assisting 1.4 million families affected by typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) alone and of them, 918,000 families need shelter assistance.
"Ngayon doon sa mga nagsasabing mabagal...baka huwag na lang akong magkomentaryo dahil tila naasikaso nilang pumunta dito, puwede naman sigurong maasikaso 'yung pangkabuhayan nila doon," the President said referring to members of the People Surge, a group of Yolanda survivors who trooped to Malacanang last Monday to air their demands to the government, such as P40,000 financial assistance for each family and to scrap the "no-build zone policy" of the administration.
"Pero ganunpaman din, babasahin natin kung may petisyon na umabot; wala pa sa aking mesa sa araw na ito. Haharapin natin at tugunan natin ang bawat isang mga tanong," he said.
Aquino will visit on February 24 Cateel, Davao Oriental, which was hit by typhoon Pablo (Bopha) in December 2012 and Loon, Bohol, which was jolted by magnitude 7.2 earthquake last year.
On February 25, the President will also go to Yolanda-ravaged areas, such as Bantayan Island in Cebu, Palo in Leyte, and Guiuan in Eastern Samar. On that day, he will also attend the commemoration of 28th anniversary of Edsa People Power in Cebu. (SDR/Sunnex)