Out-of-school youth math wizard charms netizens

Friday, August 1, 2014 - 10:08 p.m.

A VIDEO of a street kid answering mathematical questions from a netizen has gone viral on the internet, with 23,873 shares in the past week.

Chealsie Mae Luzanta, a commerce and business administration student at the University of Santo Tomas (UST) uploaded July 25 the video of a street kid named Gerald, also known as "Math wizard," on her Facebook account and asked her friends to share it.

4 Cebu grads top CPA 2014 board exam

Friday, August 1, 2014 - 09:54 p.m.

CEBU CITY -- Four Cebuano graduates made it to the top 10 in the July 2014 Certified Public Accountant Licensure Examination, the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) announced on Friday.

Three are graduates of the University of San Carlos (USC) and the other one is from the Southwestern University (SWU).

DOJ: No bribery in Maguindanao massacre case

Friday, August 1, 2014 - 09:40 p.m.

THE Department of Justice (DOJ) challenged a lawyer in the Maguindanao massacre case on Friday to back up claims that public prosecutors have received bribes to jeopardize the government's fight against those involved in the grisly killings.

Justice Undersecretary Francisco Baraan III, the official in charge of the cases, said private prosecutor Nena Santos is lying.

Lapid charged with graft over fertilizer fund scam

Friday, August 1, 2014 - 09:32 p.m.

THE Office of the Ombudsman has ordered the filing of charges against Senator Lito Lapid and other provincial officers in Pampanga in connection with the alleged P780-million fertilizer fund scam.

Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales has found probable cause on Friday to charge the lawmaker and others with violation of Section 3(g) of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act due to alleged irregularities with the "Ginintuang Masaganang Ani" (GMA) Program of the Department of Agriculture (DA) when Lapid was still the governor of Pampanga during the previous Arroyo Administration.

News anchor seeks help from PNP to stop spread of video scandal

Friday, August 1, 2014 - 09:15 p.m.

THE Philippine National Police (PNP) is tracking the person who allegedly spread online a six-minute sex video featuring Paolo Badiones and an unidentified woman, police said Friday.

PNP Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) investigation and intelligence section head Jay Guillermo said Bediones went to their office in Camp Crame, Quezon City on Thursday to ask for assistance to stop the spread of the video, which has gone viral online and to sack the person who uploaded it in the internet.

DFA: No Pinoys in Taiwan gas blast

Friday, August 1, 2014 - 06:57 p.m.

NO FILIPINO national were among the casualties in the gas explosion in Taiwan, wherein at least 25 people were killed and scores of others injured.

According to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), the Manila Economic and Cultural Office (MECO) has already reported the absence of any Filipino nationals in the tragedy that happened early Friday morning.

Kris to public: Please pray for President that he stays alive

Friday, August 1, 2014 - 06:18 p.m.

ACTRESS and television host Kris Aquino urged the public on Friday to pray for President Benigno Aquino III that he stays alive and in good health.

Kris, the youngest sister of the President, made the call during a short message she delivered after the mass to commemorate the death anniversary of their mother, President Corazon Aquino.

P171-B master plan for 'Yolanda'-hit areas submitted to Aquino

Friday, August 1, 2014 - 05:36 p.m.

THE Office of Presidential Assistant for Rehabilitation and Recovery (OPARR) submitted on Friday to President Benigno Aquino III a voluminous P170.9-billion comprehensive rehabilitation and recovery plan (CRRP) for 171 municipalities ravaged by Typhoon "Yolanda" late last year.

Aquino received the eight-volume report from OPARR Secretary Panfilo Lacson after the memorial mass in honor of late President Corazon Aquino at the Manila Memorial Park in Paranaque City.

Gas blasts kill 25, injure 267 in Taiwanese port

Friday, August 1, 2014 - 04:10 p.m.

KAOHSIUNG, Taiwan — At least 25 people were killed and 267 injured when underground gas explosions ripped through Taiwan's second-largest city, hurling concrete and cars through the air and blasting long trenches in the streets, authorities said Friday, as they searched for the cause.

The series of five explosions about midnight Thursday and early Friday struck a densely populated district where petrochemical companies operates pipelines alongside the sewer system in Kaohsiung, a southwestern port with 2.8 million people.

7 Pinoys from Sierra Leone under close watch for Ebola

Friday, August 1, 2014 - 03:56 p.m.

MANILA (Updated) -- Seven out the 15 Filipinos who arrived home from Sierra Leone have been placed under close watch for possible symptoms of the deadly virus Ebola, the Department of Health (DOH) said Friday.

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Pacman blog
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Obituary
  • Filipino Abroad
  • tell it to sunstar
  • ePaper
  • Sinulog
  • Habemus Papam
  • Festivals
  • Pnoy
  • Technology
  • Philippine Polls
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Calamity Report
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • goodearth