Court allows Napoles to undergo medical check-up-A A +A
Monday, February 24, 2014
MANILA -- Alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Napoles was allowed by a Makati judge on Monday to be examined by doctors at the Philippine National Police (PNP) General Hospital in Quezon City for a possible ovarian tumor.
Chief Superintendent Alejandro Advincula Jr., PNP Health Services director, said Napoles will be checked by three PNP-GH doctors who specialize in family medicine, internal medicine and OB-gynecology.
PNP-GH OB-gynecologist Chief Inspector Michelle Daguno said Napoles will undergo two sets of ultrasound and blood testing to find out why she is experiencing abnormal vaginal bleeding.
The tests were necessary to check Napoles' three-centimeter cyst in her ovary diagnosed by the PNP Special Action Force (SAF) doctors, she said.
"Depende sa ultrasound, 'yung ovarian cyst if three centimeters (cm) hindi naman ganoon kalaki pero to be confirmed pa through the trans-vaginal ultrasound. Base on cases, usually 'pag bukol, if it is less than five centimeters, observation muna but if there are other factor like painful, that's a different concern," Daguno said.
Advincula said the tests, which would cost the government P3,000, can be done half-day but Napoles' admission will depend on the test results.
"If ever maco-confine siya meron naman kaming room for POV (Public Order Violator) and her security will still be ensured," Advincula said.
Napoles would have wanted to be confined at the St. Luke’s Medical Center in Taguig City to get a transvaginal ultrasound and take other tests after suffering from abdominal pains and profuse menstrual bleeding sometime in October last year.
Napoles is currently detained at the Fort Sto. Domingo in Sta. Rosa, Laguna for alleged serious illegal detention of pork barrel scam whistleblower Benhur Luy.
The case is being heard by Judge Elmo Alameda of the Makati City Regional Trial Court branch 150, who approved Napoles’ motion to leave detention to attend to her medical concerns.
Luy's lawyer Levito Baligod respected the court's decision as he vowed to oppose any future move to transfer her to a private hospital.
"Her hospital stay should be by reason of illness only and should be returned to an ordinary detention facility when well," he told reporters.
Napoles' petition for bail was denied twice by the court. Her lawyers said the businesswoman would have used the opportunity to undergo such tests if she was granted temporary freedom.
"These comprehensive examinations and medical procedures cannot be conducted inside the Fort Sto. Domingo, where accused is currently detained, for lack of facilities," said lawyer Fay Isaguirre Singson.
Napoles is also facing plunder charges before the Office of the Ombudsman for allegedly conniving with some senators and congressmen to divert their Priority Development Assistance Fund to her dubious non-government organizations. (Sunnex)