Lorega cemetery to be cleared; families told to claim relatives’ remains-A A +A
Sunday, March 23, 2014
CEBU CITY -- Families who have relatives buried at the Old Lorega Cemetery were told Sunday to claim or retrieve the remains of their loved ones not later than Sunday, March 30.
The announcement was made Sunday by Mayor Michael Rama as the burial site, which was hit by fire last week, will be cleared to pave way for the resettlement of fire victims.
The clearing operation is set to start by Monday, March 24, and the task force assigned to do the work has been ordered to finish the operation in one month so that the families can return to their normal lives, Sun.Star Cebu reported.
More than 5,000 people were displaced by the fire that hit Barangay Lorega on March 18. Most of the areas burned were part of the old cemetery where most families have built their homes.
Mayor Rama, according to a dyLA report posted on Facebook, said that after March 30, all unclaimed remains from the old cemetery will be transferred to a temporary bone chamber. (Sunnex)