P26B already released for projects, activities in Yolanda-hit areas-A A +A
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
THE Aquino administration has already released P26.2 billion as of March 10 for post-disaster projects and activities in areas affected by Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan), the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) said Wednesday.
Department of Budget and Management (DBM) Secretary Florencio Abad said that fund releases to date represent a P1.52-billion increase over releases made by end-February, which amounted to P24.7 billion.
"The administration continues to work with LGUs (local government units) and key implementing agencies in delivering post-disaster aid to Yolanda-stricken areas. Although it's been nearly six months since the super typhoon struck, the victims of the disaster are still in the process of rebuilding their communities," he said.
"The funds released so far will definitely allow the agencies to carry out rehabilitation and reconstruction projects in areas affected by Typhoon Yolanda. Along with ensuring the country's continued growth, mobilizing post-calamity aid is still a priority for the Aquino administration," he added.
In the report, the DBM said that operations units in the agency's Central Office have already received requests for Yolanda aid totaling P15.1 billion.
Fund sources against which the releases may be charged are under the category of Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Funds. These include FY 2013 and 2014 appropriations for the Calamity Fund/National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Fund, the Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Program, and Supplemental Appropriations.
Altogether, the allocations for these fund sources amount to P51.4 billion. (SDR/Sunnex)