De Lima won’t comment on ex-husband’s link to Napoles-A A +A
Thursday, March 27, 2014
JUSTICE Secretary Leila de Lima has chosen not to comment on reports that her former husband accompanied Janet Napoles in a meeting with officials of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) in the middle of an evaluation of a serious illegal detention complaint against the alleged pork barrel scam mastermind.
The meeting allegedly took place at the office of then NBI Director Nonnatus Rojas on May 23, 2013 or barely a month before the Department of Justice (DOJ) came up with a resolution junking the complaint, which was reversed to indict Napoles in a Makati court and seek for her arrest.
This information however wasn't new to de Lima's ears. She said she already knew the story about lawyer Plaridel Bohol's supposed link to Napoles "because I became curious earlier."
"But I don't want to be saying things now that might preempt the investigation of the ad hoc committee," de Lima said Wednesday.
A three-man ad hoc committee composed of high-ranking NBI officials is currently looking into the revelation of dismissed NBI deputy director for intelligence Reynaldo Esmeralda that Rojas and current NBI Deputy Director for Regional Services Rafael Ragos had meetings with Napoles.
Esmeralda said Rojas talked with Napoles at the director's office while Ragos met the businesswoman thrice.
Ragos allegedly advised Napoles to air concerns about her case to President Benigno Aquino III.
Esmeralda has denied allegations that he was among the NBI officials who informed Napoles about her looming arrest in August last year for allegedly keeping whistleblower Benhur Luy against his will for three months.
Still, de Lima successfully convinced Aquino to remove him and former NBI deputy director for special investigation services Ruel Lasala due to "integrity and trust issues." (Sunnex)