Nietes ready vs Fuentes-A A +A
Saturday, March 29, 2014
REIGNING World Boxing Organization (WBO) light flyweight champion Donnie “Ahas” Nietes is ready to once and for all put an end to those in doubt of his victory against Mexican adversary Moises “Moi” Fuentes when both clash anew in Pinoy Pride XXV on May 10 at the MOA Arena in Pasay City.
Both fighters ended their last face-off in March last year on a majority draw.
The 31-year-old Murcia-born champion, who also grew up in Bacolod, told the Bacolod media during a press conference at the People’s House on Friday that he’s ready to defend his title.
“I’ve trained hard in the U.S. [San Diego, California] for this May 10 rematch. And I’ve prepared well for a 12-round battle,” Nietes said.
Asked to recall his last fight with Fuentes, the Filipino champion described it as a tough one.
“I know I have the edge over him, but due to the cut in my eyebrow, I was forced to fight him [Fuentes] at close range,” he said.
In November last year, Nietes stopped former WBA World minimumweight and WBC Silver light flyweight champion Sammy “Guty” Gutierrez only in the third round at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.
With Nietes’ successful career, he continues to reign as the second longest Filipino world champion next to Gabriel “Flash” Elorde.
His trainer Edmund Villamor said, “we have studied the Nietes-Fuentes previous fight. We have made necessary adjustments to ensure Nietes’ victory.”
Nietes stressed that he will try hard not only to defend his title but also to avenge his stable mate’s recent loss in Mexico, referring to former WBO minimuweight champion Merlito “Tiger” Sabillo of Bacolod City.
“I have prepared for it. And, I’m ready,” he added.
On the other hand, Fuentes won three straight fights after his face-off against Nietes. (Sun.Star Bacolod/Sunnex)