Philippines files evidence vs China's claims

-A A +A

Sunday, March 30, 2014


MANILA -- The Philippine Government has filed before an international tribunal its evidence against China's sweeping territorial claims in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) despite Beijing's warning that the case will damage ties.

Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said Sunday that the documents submitted to the tribunal in The Hague consist of nearly 4,000 pages explaining the merits of the Philippine case.

Filipino officials took their territorial disputes with China to international arbitration in January last year after Chinese government ships took control of a disputed shoal off the northwestern Philippines.

They asked the tribunal to declare China's claims to about 80 percent of the strategic waters and Beijing's seizure of eight South China Sea shoals and reefs illegal.

China, which claims the area on historical grounds, said it won't participate in the case. (AP)

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Sun.Star Jobs
  • goodearth
  • Festivals
  • Pacman blog
  • ePaper
  • Philippine Polls
  • Pnoy
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Habemus Papam
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Sinulog
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Technology
  • Obituary
  • Calamity Report
  • Filipino Abroad