DOTC vows to defend awarding of Cebu airport project

-A A +A

Saturday, April 5, 2014


CEBU (Updated) -- The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) said Saturday it is ready to defend its decision of awarding the Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) project to GMR-Megawide Consortium.

DOTC spokesperson Michael Arthur Sagcal said the 25-year concession to GMR Megawide was given on Friday.

“Amidst all the noise drummed up in different forums the past few months, the DOTC has allowed nothing but the law and the country’s interests to matter in awarding the project. Finally, Cebuanos will soon get the world-class airport they deserve – one that will not only boost the province’s economy and tourism industry, but the whole country’s as well,” he said.

“This project should have been done at least a decade ago, so there is no more time to waste. We have resolved all issues, we are ready to defend our decision, and it is now time to push forward on 'daang matuwid' by delivering our services to the people,” Sagcal added.



Prior to the awarding of the project, Senator Sergio Osmeña III asked the Supreme Court (SC) to stop the DOTC and the Mactan Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) from issuing a notice of award and a concession agreement to GMR-Megawide. [Read the related story here.]

mciaa terminal
CEBU. The Mactan Cebu International Airport. (Sun.Star Cebu file photo)


In the bidding conducted in November last year, the GMR-Megawide proposed to undertake the project, which entails renovating the existing passenger terminal building (PTB), building a new one to service international flights, and operating the airport, at a premium of P 14.4 Billion.

This offer bested those of six other groups, Sagcal said.

GMR-Megawide will now have 20 days to complete the post-award requirements, such as the submission of an irrevocable letter of credit in the amount of P180 million, and the payment of the premium amount to government through the MCIAA, he said.

Once the requirements are satisfied, the concession agreement will be signed by the parties, paving the way for the implementation of the project over the next three to four years, the official explained. (SDR/Sunnex)

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
Sun.Star Jobs
  • Habemus Papam
  • Philippine Polls
  • ePaper
  • goodearth
  • Technology
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sinulog
  • Calamity Report
  • Pacman blog
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Festivals
  • Obituary
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Pnoy
  • Sun.Star Zup!