EU lifts ban vs Cebu Pacific-A A +A
Thursday, April 10, 2014
AFTER getting an upgrade from the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on the Philippine aviation status, the European Union has removed Cebu Pacific from the list of airlines banned from operating in its member countries.
This was announced in a press conference on Thursday at the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) by Dr. Julian Vassallo, Chargé d' Affaires of the Delegation of the EU to the Philippines.
"The decision of the European Commission to lift the ban on Cebu Pacific shows the ability of Philippine authorities and business to work with the EU to raise standards and create economic opportunity," said Vassallo.
"Having demonstrated their commitment and capacity to adhere to international standards, we heartily welcome Cebu Pacific to European skies," he added.
Lance Gokongwei, Cebu Pacific president and CEO, welcomed EU's move as he thanked the Philippine government for its support.
"We welcome this development, a testament to Cebu Pacific’s commitment to safety and full compliance with the international aviation safety standards. This would not have been possible without the full support of the Philippine government, and especially the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines," he said.
"This enables Cebu Pacific to continue flying to where the Filipinos are. With nearly a million Filipinos working in the EU, we look forward to offering CEB's trademark lowest fares, and the most extensive route network in the Philippines," he added.
The FAA also announced earlier that it has removed the Philippines from Category 2 and placed it again to Category 1 after complying with the civil aviation safety standards.
This will pave the way for Philippine carriers to mount new flights to any destinations in the US. (SDR/Sunnex)