DOH: Returning OFW no longer positive for MERS-CoV-A A +A
Friday, April 18, 2014
MANILA - The overseas Filipino worker (OFW) who was placed under quarantine upon his return to the country for previously testing positive for the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) in the United Arab Emirates is now negative for the virus, the Department of Health (DOH) said Friday.
According to the DOH, the male health worker tested negative 11 days after being exposed to the virus in a hospital in UAE.
The OFW, who arrived in Manila last April 15, was reportedly exposed to the Filipino patient who died from MERS-CoV as he was an attending nurse in the hospital where the patient was confined.
The DOH also announced that other passengers in the Etihad Flight EY 0424 also tested negative. However, testing of other passengers continues.
“We need to create heightened awareness among OFWs and other Filipinos travelling to and from the Middle East,” the DOH said in a statement.
All OFWS and other Filipino travelers to and from the Middle East with respiratory illness are advised to see their healthcare provider and mention their recent exposure or travel.
Frequent hand-washing and proper cough manners is also advised.
The DOH and the Bureau of Quarantine continue to monitor all incoming passengers in all ports and airports. (PNA)